Spartan Swimmers and Divers Break School and Conference Records On The Way To Winning 2018 Northeast Aquatic Conference Championships
Girls: Boardman 497, Wooster 419, Glenoak 340, Massillon Perry 301, Canfield 207, Massillon Washington 140
Boys: Boardman 487, Canfield 385, Wooster 338, Glenoak 244, Massillon Perry 207, Massillon Washington 160
The Spartans captured 19 first places out of 24 events, broke one school record, and 3 conference records while winning the team competitions at the 2018 Northeast Aquatic Conference Championships at Wooster High School. Junior Mikel Flatley and Senior Kyle Kimerer were voted “Outstanding Swimmers of the Meet” by the head coaches of all of the teams. This is the third year in a row the Spartan boys’ team has captured the N. E. A. C. team title. The girls’ team won for the second year in a row.
Senior co-captain Kyle Kimerer set the tone for the Spartans by breaking the school and conference record in the 200 freestyle. He smashed his previous school record time of 1:45.56 by 3.4 seconds and the conference record by 1 second with the record time of 1:42.12. The conference record time of 1:43.02 was set in 2007 by Glenoak swimmer Travis Wagner. Kimerer also placed first in the 100 butterfly in a near conference record time of 51.13. The conference record of 50.57 is still held by former Spartan state butterfly champion Ryan Bailey. Kimerer teamed with Callen Aulizia, Matthew DunLany, and Noah Basista in both of the conference record breaking 200 and 400 freestyle relays. The 200 record time was 1:25.98 breaking the previous record of 1:28.96. Former Spartan swimmers Mike Barringer, Kenny Drombosky, Brian Worhatch, and Connor O’Halloran set the N. E. A. C. relay record in 2007. The 400 free relay record of 3:14.29 was set in 2008 by Canfield swimmers James Hunter, Ryan King, Eric Davis, and Garret Trebilcock. Kimerer, DunLany, Basista, and Aulizia posted a winning time of 3:11.04.
Coach Terry O’Halloran commented on the Spartan victories.
Winning the N. E. A. C. Championships is a great team accomplishment. In the 40 year history of the championship meet no teams have ever placed first in 19 out of 24 events. Almost all of our swimmers posted career best times. Shattering 3 ten year old meet records was awesome along with having Mikel Flatley and Kyle Kimerer chosen as swimmers of the meet. It will be very exciting to see how we do when the team is rested at the end of the season.
Double conference event winners were as follows: Mikel Flatley 200 Individual Medley 2:19.72 and 100 Butterfly 1:01.55, Jennah Markovitch 50 Freestyle 25.29 and 100 freestyle 56.33, Callen Aulizia 50 Freestyle 21.31 and 100 Freestyle 46.74, Noah Basista 200 Individual Medley 1:56.99 and 100 Breaststroke 59.54. Individual winners were Sarah Murray 500 Freestyle 5:34.23, Alison Kuras 100 Breaststroke 1:14.65, Matt DunLany 100 Backstroke 57.08, and Gizzy Kelso 11 dives 321.55pts. The swimmers and divers will be at Warren Harding January 13 th participating in the 4 th annual eleven team A. A. C. Swimming and Diving Championships.
2018 Northeast Aquatic Conference Championships Spartan Times and Scores:
- 200 Medley Relays: Girls 2nd 1:59.54 Alyssa Dinapoli, Abby Yocum, Sarah Varga, Alison Kuras; Boys 1st 1:41.66 Will Linker, Jordan Stackpole, Mason Rassega, David Giancola
- 200 Freestyle: Sarah Murray 2nd 2:05.42, Sidney Hull 7th 2:11.75, Hailey Marcus 10 th 2:19.18 Kyle Kimerer 1 st 1:42.12 School and Conference Record, Will Linker 3rd 1:50.90, Simon Mascola 8th 2:03.43
- 200 Individual Medley: Mikel Flatley 1st 2:19.72, Sarah Varga 6th 2:35.31, Abby Yocum 7th 2:39.61 Noah Basista 1st 1:56.99, Jordan Stackpole 2nd 2:07.61, Andy Beichner 12th 2:30.36
- 50 Freestyle: Jennah Markovitch 1st 25.29, Ali Kuras 2nd 25.98, Ella Hare 6th 27.14 26.81 Callen Aulizia 1 st 21.31, Mason Rassega 3rd 23.03 , 25.02, Steven Vasko 16th 28.46
- 1 Meter Diving 11 Dives: Gizzy Kelso 1st 321.55 pts, Madison Riccuiti 2nd 304.40 pts, Megan Janak 301.45 pts, Teddy Anzevino 2nd 276.70 pts, Egan Hare 5th 231.30
- 100 Butterfly: Mikel Flatley 1 st 1:01.55, Sarah Varga 5th 109.95, Julia Castellano 9th 1:13.24 Kyle Kimerer 1st 51.13, Matthew DunLany 2nd 52.40, Brendan Beam 1:05.52
- 100 Freestyle: Jennah Markovitch 1st 56.33, Alyssa Dinapoli 4th 57.66, Ella Hare 10th 1:00.27 Callen Aulizia 1st 46.74, David Giancola 3rd 50.85, Masson Rassega 5th 51.80
- 500 Freestyle: Sarah Murray 1st 5:34.23, Sidney Hull 6th 5:57.42, Will Linker 2nd 5:00.41, Jordan Stackpole 4th 5:06.96, Simon Mascola 6th 5:34.75
- 200 Freestyle Relay: Girls 1st 1:43.91 Mikel Flatley, Ella Hare, Alison Kuras, Jenna Markovitch Boys 1 st 1:25.98 Conference Record Kyle Kimerer, Matthew DunLany, Noah Basista, Callen Aulizia
- 100 Backstroke: Alyssa Dinapoli 6th 1:06.67, Hailey Marcus 8th 1:11.70, Carly Amendola 11th 1:16.81, Matthew DunLany 1 st 57.08, Brendan Beam 11th 1:12.84, Brendan Rutledge 12th 1:14.48
- 100 Breaststroke: Alison Kuras 1st 1:14.65, Abby Yocum 3rd 1:18.76, MacKenzie Widrig 7th 1:24.02, Noah Basista 1st 59.54, David Giancola 4th 1:05.57, Andy Beichner 14th 1:17.10
- 400 Freestyle Relay: Girls 6th 3:48.21 Jennah Markovitch, Sarah Murray, Alyssa Dinapoli, Mikel Flatley Boys 1st 3: 11.04 Conference Record Kyle Kimerer, Matthew DunLany, Noah Basista, Callen Aulizia