Spartan Swimmers Break Five Records in Week Two and Take First Place in the Northeast Ohio 7 Team Relay Championships
The Spartan boys’ team collected one school record, one Northeast Ohio Relay Meet record, and three Massillon Jackson pool records in meets this past weekend. Senior Kyle Kimerer posted a time of 1:45.56 in the 200 freestyle breaking the Boardman school record time of 1:45.88 set in 2016 by Aaron DunLany. An hour later Kimerer broke a Massillon Jackson pool record in the 100 butterfly with his first place time of 51.94. At the end of the meet Kimerer teamed with Senior Callen Aulizia and sophomores Mathew DunLany and Noah Basista to take first in the 400 freestyle relay in a new Jackson pool record time of 3:18.53. Right before the 400 relay Basista took down the 100 breaststroke pool record placing first in the time of 1:00.88. Friday night’s dual meet at Massillon Jackson was won on both the sides by the Polar Bears by the boy’s score of 92 to 84 and the girl’s score of 113.5 to 72.50. After week two both Spartan teams are 3-2 in dual meet competition.
Saturday took the Spartan swimmers and divers to Warren Harding to compete in the 2017 Northeast Aquatic Conference Relay Championships. After twenty relay events Boardman repeated as conference team champions. The score for the girls was as follows; Boardman 152, Glenoak 132, Wooster 128, Massillon Perry 102, Canfield 70, Warren Harding 40, and Massillon Washington 34. Boardman boys posted 154 points, Wooster 116, Canfield 104, Glenoak 96, Warren Harding 72, Massillon Perry 68, and Massillon Washington 58. Boardman broke one relay meet record. Senior Kyle Kimerer, Junior Mason Rassega, Junior Will Linker, and Senior Callen Aulizia broke the 200 freestyle relay records with a first place time of 1:29.87. The previous record time of 1:30.26 was set in 2006 by Spartan swimmers Mike Barringer, Kenny Drombosky, Brian Worhatch, and Conner O’Halloran.
Coach Terry O’Halloran had this to say about the weekend swimming and diving events.
“Our swimmers and divers are very competitive this year. They compete every day at practice and that carries over to our meets. We won a lot of close races this weekend and our athletes are showing a lot of grit. This Saturday we will attend the annual McKinley Christmas Invitational. We will be mixing it up with many top teams from across the state and that should give us a good indication of where we stand now and what we will have to do to be competitive at the end of the season.”
Spartan relays placed first in ten out the twenty events. First place results were as follows:
- Boys 200 Medley Relay: 1:42.73 David Giancola, Noah Basista, Matt DunLany, Callen Aulizia
- Girls 100 Free Relay: 51.62 Hailey Marcus, Tyler Williams, Sarah Murray, Alison Kuras
- Girls 250 Medley Relay: 2:37.17 Hailey Marcus, Abby Yocum, Mikel Flatley, Sarah Murray
- Boys 250 Medley Relay: 2:20.73 Siman Mascola, Andy Beichner, Noah Basista, David Giancola
- Girls Diving Relay: 173.50 points Megan Janak and Madison Riccuiti, 3 dives each
- Boys 200 Freestyle Relay: 1:29.87 (Meet Record) Kyle Kimerer, Mason Rassega, Will Linker, Callen Aulizia
- Boys 400 IM Relay: 4:04.01 Andy Beichner, Siman Mascola, Matt DunLany, Kyle Kimerer
- Girls 200 Breast Relay: 2:30.44 Abby Yocum, Julia Castellano, MacKenzie Widrig, Sarah Varga
- Girls 400 Free Relay: 3:56.10 Jennah Markovitch, Sidney Hull, Alyssa Dinapoli, Mikel Flatley
- Boys 400 Free Relay: 3:29.26 Will Linker, Siman Mascola, Mason Rassega, Callen Aulizia